Friday, April 4, 2014

An Eagle in the Sky


http://indervilla.com/home/2013/01/Eagle-Sunset-Sky-HD.jpg
I waited impatiently in my seat while surrounded by a full audience for the speaker and author Joy Harjo of “Crazy Brave”. As she made her entrance she walked in with a huge smile and an open heart to everyone.

As she greeted and began her introduction she came off as an intellectual speaker. She seemed to care about everyone in the room. Her personality was funny, energetic, and down to earth and warm hearted. She was not what I would imagine a writer to be: uptight, cold, straight forward to get the speech over and not so relaxed. She revealed her care for is just about everything around her and everybody else. From the people, to ancestors, animals, the trees and plants, the wind, sounds and spirits. I didn’t recognize any weaknesses in her speech besides for getting off track a little when she had an “ahh” moment of remembering something. I believe her strengths she exhibited were her funny personality and confidence in her opinion and content she gave us.

Overall I believe she is objective and trustworthy. From the way she compares her earlier pieces to events of the past and even comparing them to the present events. I didn’t catch why she made certain choices in her life, besides that she explained that her path was set for life and she just followed it along the way. Sometimes taking a few detours, like in her book of getting pregnant at such an early age or when she chose to drink to escape her reality and path. I also didn’t think that her personality was so funny and that she would be such a strong confident speaker compared to what I got out of the book of her personality.

From reading her book she has greatly influenced me and opened my eyes. She has shown me that I am not lost without hope, just walking along my own path for a reason and will someday find my way. I am no longer alone with my past and now my future to come.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get a chance to see her speak, but the way you explained her personality is how I would have imagined her to be. Even though her book came across dark at some points, I thought she would have a down to earth and fun personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By you just explaining how she was during the event, I could imagine myself being there already. I'm really glad that you had gone to her session, so I could hear some insights how the event went. Thank you for sharing=)

    ReplyDelete