Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Silly Doll


www.coloribus.com
 
 
Well throughout the play it was very obvious that Abigale was the catalyst to all the proceedings, both in and out of court. A particular example of how Abigale does this was with the doll that was made by Elizabeth in court.
Abigail, knowing that Elizabeth was Mary Warren’s servant; she sought for anything to convict Mary. She found a great one with such a doll made my Elizabeth, because it would be taken home to the Warren’s household.  In addition to how the needle was put in good keeping, she could sick herself and then blame Mary for witchcraft. Even though Elizabeth does admit to have made the doll in court and gave the doll to Mary as a gift that very night, the fear she has of being convicted by the girls and Abigail allows the statement to be completely overthrown. This allows Abigail to really in the end convict or get even with Mr. Proctor.

The reenactment of the situation with the doll to me was much more effective in the performance than when I read the play. It was made clearer to me as to how Abigail came to be having a needle stuck in her at court and being able to blame Mary Warren.  I originally had to re-read this part of the play a few times just to get a good grasp as to what lead up to her doing such a thing, because I did not catch the simple detail of her sticking the needle away in the doll. I dismissed it as an unneeded detail, which I understand now how critical each detail is in a script.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you in that Abigail was the leader in all of the proceedings. I also feel that people grasp more details while watching the play live rather than just reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your last paragraph on how you think of Abigail. I was kind of like that too. It was confusing during that part or scene. That's really great how you figure it out by re-read again.

    ReplyDelete